Panasonic – Group Manager, Environmental Affairs & Sustainability
Every moment of every day, people all over the world turn to Panasonic to make their lives simpler, more enjoyable, more productive and more secure. Since our founding almost a century ago, we’ve been committed to improving peoples’ lives and making the world a better place–one customer, one business, one innovative leap at a time. Come join our journey.
Click here to learn more about how Panasonic is creating a better life, a better world.
Watch this video to see how our employees are shaping the technologies that move us.
What You'll Get to Do:
This role will support factory environmental compliance and management system requirements primarily in the US, but with occasional support in Canada and Mexico. Activities include auditing, providing technical guidance and completing required registrations. Develop North American sustainability goals and benchmark progress towards our Net Zero Carbon Emissions Goals as part of Panasonic’s GreenIMPACT campaign.
- Lead the North American Sustainability Efforts In coordination with the Communications Team, advance employee engagement and promotion of sustainable goals made public by our Corporate Headquarters in Japan. Develop and implement a path for North American factories and facilities to reach our net zero carbon emissions goals by 2030. Develop and maintain carbon emissions and energy consumption tracking to effectively communicate progress towards our goals.
- Responsible for ensuring our products meet all applicable environmental regulations (i.e., chemical, packaging, waste/recycling), use industry best practices and are ready to succeed in the market. This will involve tracking and understanding US product related environmental regulations, applying them to our product line and service offerings, applicable reporting, developing compliance policies and procedures and communicating them to corporate management and responsible Operating Company compliance teams. In this role you will conduct regular compliance audits of our North American factories and facilities and provide compliance support and guidance. Includes support of factory Environmental Management System.
- Product Compliance/Sales Support: Manage environmental compliance for our product lineup, including product/packaging, chemical content laws, end of life processing, electronic-waste registration/reporting (including batteries and solar panels), UL WERCSmart product compliance database registration, EPA FIFRA and EPEAT (Electronic Products Environmental Assessment Tool) registration / audits. Respond to customer surveys on a variety of ESG issues.
- This involves understanding applicable environmental laws / regulations, industry best practices, environmental design standards and applying them to Panasonic products to ensure compliance. This includes monitoring emerging issues, understanding competitor environmental strategies, applying compliance procedures, reporting, and training.
- Factory Compliance Support: Manage environmental compliance for North American factories and facilities, including performing audits and issuing guidance documents. This will involve a detailed knowledge of facility compliance regulations.
- Legislative & Regulatory Analysis: Monitor and maintain up-to-date knowledge of federal and state environmental laws and regulations. Develop and recommend compliance policies and procedures to management. Participate in multiple trade associations in order to track legislative regulatory developments and guide environmental policy in the best interest of Panasonic. This role requires the maintenance of compliance checklists.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Environmental Engineering, Science, Policy Studies or similar
- 10+ years of relevant experience.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of environmental sustainability issues, laws, and regulations, including design for sustainability concepts, the extension of useful life, serviceability, recycling, recycled content, and life-cycle assessment concepts
- Familiarity with EPEAT, WERCS, ISO14001 Environmental Management System standard, R2, and e-Stewards recycling standards
- General working knowledge and familiarity with all major US environmental laws including FIFRA, RCRA, green labels, EPCRA, TSCA, CWA, CAA, Prop 65, EPA, and DOE
- Strong database management skills with programs such as Excel using advanced formulas ( vlookup, pivot tables, etc).
- Knowledge of consumer, professional, and industrial electronic products and systems and 5 years of experience with these products
- Project management experience
- Experience interacting with federal, state, and local governmental officials, and environmental advocacy organizations
- Supervisory and/or managerial experience
- Up to 25% of business travel to international or domestic locations.
- Must be able to communicate effectively across all levels of management
- Capability to work with minimal direction and handle multiple projects at once
- Ability to collaborate with and across multiple internal and external entities/teams and skill sets
- Strong cross-cultural communication skills
- Ability to motivate Japan-side Domains and PNA sales companies to be responsive to business goals and needs
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Proven ability to develop strategies to meet emerging customer requests related to compliance and sustainability
- Ability to anticipate business and compliance challenges, develop and recommend appropriate responses
- Ability to integrate environmental priorities and obligations with business goals and needs
- Understand and evaluate Panasonic's environmental strengths / weaknesses and develop / suggest new and creative strategies to maximize competitive advantage and eliminate risks
- Develop and recommend ways to improve Panasonic’s environmental brand image in the U.S. market
- Streamline internal processes and bring ideas to automate departmental tasks
- Flexibility to meet the daily needs of the business
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive benefits
- Pet Insurance
- Paid Parental Care Leave
- Employee Referral Program
- Educational Assistance
- Flexible Work Program
- Volunteer time Off
- Casual Dress Code
- Total Well Being Program
Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law or company policy. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Pre-employment drug testing is required for safety sensitive positions or as may otherwise be required by contract or law. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Corporation of North America.