Who We Are: Panasonic Avionics takes entertainment to new heights. We’re the world’s leading supplier of (IFEC) inflight entertainment and communications systems that allow airborne passengers to get their fix of live TV, movies, music, interactive games, maps, and much more! We make traveling on airplanes more exciting!
What We Value:
As an organization, we value people who are motivated and driven. We value a collaborative work environment that enhances careers and positively impacts society. We value our diverse work culture committed to delivering products and achieving high results. Seeing our products bring delight to others is just one way we measure success.
Why You Should Join:
A job is only part of what we offer. See how you can flourish in a career while getting the support and resources from some of the most talented people in the industry. You will work on technology that makes traveling the world that much better. Lastly, you will be rewarded with world class benefits and competitive wages. Come aboard, we’ve been expecting you!
Advice/counsel across global operations in multiple areas of business law related to organization’s legal rights and obligations, including: Providing legal advice/counsel in business-related areas such as corporate law, real estate, tax, business litigation, transactions/anti-trust, regulatory & compliance, intellectual property, employment/labor, corporate governance, ethics, mergers and acquisitions, etc.). Oversee research, analysis, and interpretation of proposed and existing laws, statutes, and regulations. Identify, evaluate, and address issues of legal risk. Structure, draft, negotiate and/or approve legal contracts, letters of agreement, policies and other documents related to a variety of trade, commercial, financial, and operational matters. Represent/advocate in litigation, arbitration, mediation or other disputes with courts, government agencies, or other legal authorities. Accountable for liaising with external legal counsel on complex legal issues. Work with the senior management team and, in coordination with the parent company’s global and regional legal guidelines, provide legal advice and guidance to the Corporation while ensuring consistent and proper processes are followed, and Corporation policy and various departmental procedures are followed. Member of the NA Legal leadership team.
- Manage key legal issues, develop strategies and set policies and direction for PAC within a global environment. Own a significant number of measurable functional, operational and strategic goals, priorities and initiatives for PAC, and will work frequently with peer leaders of the other global business unit legal functions. Responsible for the operational success, strategic alignment and integration of activities with other major organizational functions.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the PAC business, its strategies and the external regulatory market-place. Maximize Company opportunities and minimize risk and exposure by identifying legal trends and variances and communicating implications of Company activities.
- Promote disciplined compliance culture through education and risk management/prevention.
- Analyze legislation that impacts the Company and assist in responding to inquiries from government and regulatory agencies. Ensure that the Company is in compliance with all applicable government regulations, including DOJ, FAA and FCC regulations and bring a strategic point of view on government relations.
- Lead complex, multidimensional projects, transactions, or problem resolution that span legal, business, and functional boundaries (e.g., cross geographies, subject matter areas, jurisdictions, organizations and business models).
- Manage and assess risk of complex commercial contracts, both domestic and international, and ensure compliance with and effective management systems for same.
- Oversee the alignment of critical resources to high risk areas based on understanding the strategies and goals of PAC and the Legal Department.
- Act as a thought leader in the local/regional environment by advising on highly complex laws and regulations and their wide-reaching implications for the local/regional operations/businesses.
- Lead implementation of innovative process and policy improvements, proposals, or changes that align with business needs.
- Exert influence on external industry counsels, policies, and regulatory bodies in area of specialization.
- Advise on all major business transactions, particularly in the areas of structuring new business ventures and resolving unique business disputes. Advise various departments on complex business transactions and propose solutions which balance the risk/benefit. Provide negotiation recommendations and perform negotiations as required, and draft agreements and various documents to safeguard the company’s interest.
- Lead corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives; participate in the consideration, formulation and execution of the business objectives and policies of the company; oversee development of corporate practices and programs related to the business; advise management on legal implications and compliance of all company activities and problems, keep abreast of legislative and administrative regulatory developments and maintain up-to-date knowledge of the law in areas of special interest to the company.
- Formulate and recommend legal policies and objectives for the corporation, report status and interface with the parent company’s legal functions. Monitor and improve the company’s compliance with outside state, federal and international agencies.
- Additional duties and responsibilities, as assigned, in support of the corporate and legal functions of the organization.
- Lead the PAC global legal function
- Team leadership and management of outside counsel with demonstrated experience managing a legal department of comparable scale. Experience supervising and cost-effectively managing outside legal resources.
- Manage and Coach senior staff in the legal department, which may include the legal leaders of key subsidiaries and affiliates and legal specialists such as the SAAS/Technology Transactions, Privacy and IP attorneys.
- Participate as an active member of PAC leadership and North American legal leadership team.
- Experience in organizations in the software/services markets and startups as well as experience in M&A transactions including integration, compliance, and large commercial transactions both domestic and international.
- A clear focus to drive for results, enjoy a challenge, have the fortitude to influence and drive change, be adaptable in large complex organizations including international experience working with Japanese and US owned organizations.
- Experience within aviation, electrical / mechanical technology is preferred. Experience working within a global and matrixed organization preferred.
- Familiarity with complex commercial contracts, both domestic and international. Ideally experience with satellite transponder leases.
- Broad based legal training that must include litigation, IP, mergers and acquisitions, contracts, licensing, regulatory, compliance, especially FCPA issues, and employment law.
- Demonstrated experience being forward thinking and proactive on legislative, regulatory and public policy issues.
- Experience with global legal matters. Having lived and worked internationally is highly preferred.
- D. with at least 15 years of relevant legal experience. Including large law firm experience and experience practicing in-house at an aviation related company preferred.
- Active California bar license preferred.
- Travel up to 25% both domestic and internationally.
Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law or company policy. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Pre-employment drug testing is required for safety sensitive positions or as may otherwise be required by contract or law. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Corporation of North America.