ITC Global requires an experienced Field Engineer to join their team in Aberdeen, Scotland.
As a Field Engineer you will be responsible for developing highly technical solutions in response to sales and customer requirements. Under supervision responsible for equipment installation, maintenance and updating supporting the remote communications needs of our customers in the Energy, Mining, and Maritime industries. Specifically includes fixed and stabilized VSAT systems and networking devices.
This position requires land and offshore travel, international travel, frequent overnight stays and the ability to perform to a high standard in stressful situations.
- Assembly, installation and troubleshooting of all fixed, stabilized and Auto-Acquire VSAT systems in use by the company.
- Complete all job documentation and paperwork in a timely fashion (one week).
- Compliance with mandatory company procedures.
- May work on pre-commissioning Build & Test in workshop environment.
- Configuration, installation and troubleshooting of remote subscriber equipment to include but not limited to:
- Equipment Rack Assembly
- Wireless access points and VOIP phones.
- Antenna Control Units
- Satellite modems
- Out of Band Management Systems
- RF Equipment
- UPS Systems
- 4G Systems
- LAN infrastucture
- Telecom duties include use of BER Testers, spectrum analyzers and specialised test equipment, wiring of in-house telecom circuits, repair of in-house telecom equipment and some advanced troubleshooting techniques.
- Provide day to day preventative maintenance and repair of VSAT hardware.
- Proficiency with use of engineering drawings for installation, troubleshooting and repair.
- Test, program, and repair of basic land mobile communications equipment.
- Provide remote customer support as needed.
- Ability to travel via vessel, airplane and helicopter in support of our customers.
- Maintain company vehicles according to manufacturer recommendations.
- Prepare and dispatch equipment and hardware to sites prior to installation, as needed.
- Complete all plans, diagrams and procedures related to installations including the as-built documentation.
- Promotes and maintains a safe and positive HSE presence within the team and day to day work flow. Comply with the requirements of the Safety Management System
- Conducting safety/toolbox meetings
- Ensure compliance with system procedures
- Facilitate/conduct risk assessments (JHAs)
- Report incidents and hazards
- Participate in incident investigations.
Education and Experience:
- Associates degree in IT, Telecommunications, Communications or 3+ years of relevant work experience. Commensurate military experience may be acceptable.
- 3+ years relevant work experience in Onshore/Offshore remote communications industry is preferred.
- Proven experience with satellite communications fundamentals, VSAT antenna RF systems/sub-systems to include Stabilised and fixed antenna systems, demonstrable by systems installations and actual work experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience and advanced knowledge of Stabilized antenna systems to include SeaTel, Intellian Orbit and Spacetrack.
- Proficient with iDirect NMS IDX 3.x, Comtech Satellite Modems, and wireless Access Points.
- Experience and knowledge of Cisco routers and switches.
- A good knowledge of the use of RF Spectrum Analyzers and of RF theory.
- Experience in IP routing, switching, security and VOIP.
- Ability to perform tasks with minimal supervision.
- Must have exceptional customer service skills driven to exceed customer expectations.
- Detail oriented individual with proven ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks concurrently and within deadlines.
- Cabling, fabrication, and termination of commissioning of VSAT stabilised antennas
- Knowledge of Electrical safety/Awareness of Electrical isolation
- Knowledge of offshore safety procedures, which may include but not limited to Permit to Work, Stop the Job, Lone Man Working, Electrical Isolation.
- Ability to offer creative solutions and resourceful problem solving skills.
- Energetic self-starter with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Must have flexibility of working extended hours, weekends, holidays, on call and in remote and harsh environments.
- In addition to independent qualities, the ability to work well as part of a regional/global and virtual teams across multiple geographies/vertical markets.
- Ability to lift in excess of 50lbs and pass a physical exam as required.
- Bosiet, offshore Medical, MIST, and Emergency Breather System (EBS) to be included as part of mandatory courses to allow technicians to be deployed to offshore installations in EMEA regions.
- SafeGulf and SEMS certifications preferred but not mandatory.
- Well organized, effective written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Fair understanding of cultural sensitivities in the areas of work.