Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking ambitious members to lead the world’s largest lithium ion battery initiative. With the superior battery designs and the fastest manufacturing lines in the world, Panasonic is producing millions of batteries per day in the Gigafactory to support Tesla’s electric vehicle and power wall businesses. Panasonic invites you to join us in this ongoing, full-scale effort to electrify our society. At PENA, our members quickly become experts in the fundamentals of lithium-ion cell technology and leaders who work with the manufacturing teams to integrate that understanding with high speed, automated manufacturing methods to produce the highest performance and quality lithium ion batteries.
- Providing rapid response conducting laboratory analysis for production support and root cause analysis.
- Having responsibility for all manner of chemical/materials analysis to change and improve processes and resolve production issues.
- Conducting failure analysis to address quality or reliability concerns regarding Panasonic’s battery cells.
- Utilizing analytical instrumentation to conduct analysis and provide support to a multitude of groups within the organization.
- Analyzing and evaluating process input/output data to reduce defects and improve battery performance.
- Providing support to the cell manufacturing process to resolve production quality issues.
- Providing support to customers to resolve claims on cell production quality issues.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- A.S. in a science or engineering discipline or equivalent experience.
- Strong knowledge of electron microscopy, focused ion beam (FIB) fundamentals, and elemental analysis using SEM.
- 2+ years of dual beam FIB operation experience.
- Academic or industry background in materials characterization and cross-sectional analysis.
- Expertise in handling chemicals and following laboratory safety procedures.
- Familiarity with MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Problem solving skills and close attention to detail
- Able to troubleshoot and coordinate repairs of electron microscopy equipment with OEM.
- Knowledge of lithium ion battery manufacturing a plus.
- A laboratory background working in high-volume manufacturing is strongly desired.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment, as well as with cross-functional groups.
- Experience developing novel electron microscopy methods using FIB and broad beam argon mills.
- Deep understanding of data that can be acquired using an FE-SEM, FIB, and WDS.
- Stand for extended amounts of time.
- Walk extensively around the factory (our building is 5.5 million square feet; you will definitely get your steps in!)
- Required to wear PPE (personal protective equipment) such as but not limited to; hard hat, respirator, gloves, eye protection, steel toe boots, etc.
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a largescale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory is producing cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive compensation and benefits. Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction. Panasonic Energy of North America does not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.