Facilities Construction Director
The Facilities Construction Director is responsible for meeting the overall strategic and business goals. The incumbent will oversee the construction projects by handling planning, budgeting, and making key decisions to ensure that construction projects are in conformity with the proposed budget and are completed on time. This professional will serve as the company representative in dealings with general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, customers, and government inspectors. The Facilities Construction Director will be expected to ensure compliance with all federal and state procedures, regulations, and codes, and present progress updates to appropriate management channels on a regular basis.
- Increase efficiency and effectiveness, identify, and promote innovation and best practices through the design and construction process, ensuring best in class execution/delivery.
- Provide timely, current, and relevant information to others for ongoing projects, construction pipelines, and design engagements.
- Establish and enforce project management discipline, policies, processes, and tools that enable best-in-class execution.
- Track and monitor workflow and existing pipeline to provide resource-leveling flexibility, minimizing peaks and valleys in resource utilization.
- Manage/leverage partnerships with contractors and architects to reduce costs and improve quality and consistency across projects.
- Work closely with customer insights, development, and design to generate fresh ideas, aesthetics, and the like to remain innovative/competitive in our product design.
- Evaluate and modify, as necessary, systems and procedures for reporting, project/budget estimating and controls, financial controls, etc.
- Determine and implement benchmarks to measure and improve key metrics related to budget, schedule, quality, and construction risk management.
- Develop and implement a process to capture and disseminate best practices and lessons learned.
- Takes an active role in day-to-day management of the entire project.
- Controls the financial aspect of the budget ensuring the project is in line to be at 100% of the budget.
- Leads Owner-Architect-CM (O/A/C) progress meetings.
- Monitors Budget and Schedule and provides updates throughout the project.
- Provides Quality Assurance for construction means and methods and project safety.
- Manages and executes the Change Order process.
- Reviews and approves monthly pay applications.
- Resolves conflicts between the Project Team and stakeholders.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic: Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture or related field (or equivalent work experience).
- Desired 10+ years of experience in a construction management role, including managing teams
- Strong construction management acumen with intense focus around alignment with safety and culture.
- Sound leadership, problem-solving, decision-making, and business analysis skills are required.
- Excellent communication skills and abilities to prepare and perform presentations to executives and internal customers are required.
- Skilled in the use of automated systems employed in the management of projects.
- Must have experience with vendor negotiations and vendor management.
- Must have strong project management skills and an ability to oversee multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must have experience leading multiple projects with large teams, including general contractors and sub-contractors.
- Experience in real estate development, space planning, building design, construction and renovation, and industrial and governmental regulations, and LEED accreditation preferred.
- Experience mentoring a team and fostering an environment of continuous learning and development
- Build and maintain strong relationships with the various cross-functional teams to ensure overall program alignment
- Influence various teams without direct reporting structure
- Industrial and commercial construction experience
- Understanding of business and/or construction
- Understanding of construction cost estimating, accounting, and cost control
- Knowledge of relevant engineering principles and methods of construction
- Knowledge of building codes and regulations
- Knowledge of construction contracting regulations
- Knowledge of public procurement regulations and procedures
- Lean Six Sigma, 5S, and continuous process improvement experience
- High Performance Leadership
- Demonstrated comfort in multi-national environments
- Superb written and spoken communication, including executive-level presentations – but genuine above all. This role is a critical leadership role, with communications affecting a large organization
- Clear prioritization to advance efforts on multiple fronts
- Flexibility, which is critical for a high-performance environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage large dollar capital improvement projects
- Understanding of complex program and project delivery management systems, including differing construction delivery contract types
- Expertise in Microsoft Project and/or Primavera
- Well organized and detail oriented
- Attention to accuracy is critical
- Prepared to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple tasks ongoing at the same time
- Ability and proficiency in collecting, analyzing, and presenting data
- Being open to accept challenges and try to overcome them, either individually or collectively
- Focus to achieve the organization’s goals while developing skills and gaining knowledge
- Ability to collaborate with others for building successful projects
- Resilient, self-motived and able to work well under pressure
- Alignment to Panasonic’s seven (7) core principles (contribution to society, fairness and honesty, cooperation and team spirit, untiring effort for improvement, courtesy and humility, adaptability, gratitude)
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Sit: 40%
- Walk: 30%
- Stand: 20%
- Lift: 10%
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 20 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 35 lbs.: Occasional
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.): Occasional
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.