The EHS Technical Manager is responsible for managing and implementing EHS programs and guidelines in support of PENA’s battery production. This Manager plays a key role in supporting production operations as well as PENA’s EHS programs and policies. This person will work directly with PENA engineers, production mangers, various support teams, consultants, and vendors to maintain compliance and mitigate risk by implementing best practices within PENA’s integrated management system.
- Serve as a technical consultant/subject matter expert to PENA engineering and production teams for guidance on EHS programs and policies and best practices. Key areas will include but not limited to Machine Guarding, Lock Out / Tag Out, Fall Protection, Respiratory Protection, Hearing Conservation, Laboratory Safety and Radiation Safety
- Develop and implement Management of Change processes. Serve as primary contact for EHS during reviews and approvals.
- Lead/support equipment risk assessments and process hazard analyses. Evaluate equipment design and suggest modifications and safety improvements
- Develop, implement, and maintain EHS policies and procedures in light of ISO 45001. Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations and conformance with the company’s integrated management system
- Conduct and manage industrial hygiene surveys and environmental monitoring to identify and control physical, chemical, and biological hazards in the workplace
- Support or lead incident analyses to determine root cause(s), prevention, and corrective measures
- Manage small team of EHS members to effectively implement EHS programs
- Working alone or with cross-discipline team members, complete projects to both improve processes in existing production lines and install/commission new production capacity
- Perform any other duties assigned by EHS leaders
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a must and includes equipment such as safety shoes, clean suit, dust mask or respirator, gloves, safety glasses/safety goggles, hair net etc. In some instances, a full Tyvek Suite is required for some areas.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic/Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Engineering, Systems Safety, Chemistry, or related science or technical field from an accredited four-year college or university
- Preferred: Master’s Degree in similar field
- Minimum of 5-7 years in EHS.
- Minimum of 3+ years of progressive manufacturing/operations experience in a high pace/high volume manufacturing environment
- Strong, hands-on experience with equipment hazard assessments, machine guarding, lockout/tagout procedures, electrical safety, and chemical management safety
- Experience managing large-scale projects and projects with a technical and/or engineering scope.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety management systems such as ISO 45001 and Management of Change.
- Experience with Environmental, Health and Safety regulations and guidelines, including OSHA, NFPA, ANSI, ISO, and EPA.
- Experience conducting risk assessments, incident investigations, and root cause analysis and corrective action management
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work in an extremely fast-paced and changing environment. Strong analytical, quantitative, and problem-solving skills
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to give formal presentations to small groups and communicate successfully with all levels of employees and management
- Resilient, self-motived and able to work well under pressure
- Ability and willingness to respond to site emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, as needed
- Skills in MS Office (Word, Power Point, Excel, Outlook)
- Must have working-level knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English
- Familiarity with Lean Six Sigma and 6S principles
- Alignment to Panasonic’s seven (7) core principles (contribution to society, fairness and honesty, cooperation and team spirit, untiring effort for improvement, courtesy and humility, adaptability, gratitude)
- CSP or CIH are preferred
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.
Please feel free to contact the Recruiter supporting this opening with questions at [email protected]