Electronics Engineer Co-Op (January - June 2022)
Every moment of every day, people all over the world turn to Panasonic to make their lives simpler, more enjoyable, more productive and more secure. Since our founding almost a century ago, we’ve been committed to improving peoples’ lives and making the world a better place–one customer, one business, one innovative leap at a time. Come join our journey.
Click here to learn more about how Panasonic is creating a better life, a better world.
Watch this video to see how our employees are shaping the technologies that move us.
TeraDiode (TDI) is a Massachusetts based Panasonic subsidiary and a world leader in developing high-power, high-brightness diode laser systems. Our kW-class direct diode laser technology is a disruptive force in the materials processing industry, which is currently dominated by Fiber and CO2 lasers. Our patented wavelength beam combining technology was developed by our co-founders from MIT Lincoln Laboratory for defense, industrial, and commercial materials processing applications.
Work with TDI's team of engineers to receive a mixture of long-term multi-phase projects and smaller less-technical tasks, e.g., preparing presentations. This balanced workload will allow you to have ownership of large projects that will keep you engaged and busy while assisting other engineers during creation of new designs. Along with project presentations, you will have weekly meetings to review your workload, discuss progress and plan future projects and tasks to best satisfy needs of TeraDiode and your own learning goals.
We are seeking a highly motivated Electronics Engineer Co-Op to work alongside our team. You will take part in all stages of design, simulation, prototype, documentation, and manufacturing electronics. In addition, you will help project manager and other Electrical engineers to achieve their goals and complete projects timely. The ideal candidate will be ready for the challenges of a fast-paced work environment and looking to gain experience as an electronics engineer.
This is not a remote position and requires an onsite presence at our offices in Wilmington, MA
What You’ll Get to Do:
- Engage in Analog and Digital Electronics design, simulation, and prototyping. This includes draw schematics, design PCB layouts, generate Gerber and NC Drill files, and documentation.
- Program Micro-Controllers and Digital Signal Processors (DSP) to provide accurate and timely execution of control algorithms and reliable communication with end user.
- Help manufacturing engineers to prepare Work Instructions (WI) and facilitate releasing NPI/ECM projects to production. Additionally, the Co-Op will monitor production closely to report project manager of potential assembly/manufacturing issues. Such feedback helps revising the designs to best fit TeraDiode's manufacturing capabilities.
- Review design requirements for various safety classes and draft TeraDiode's design guideline for reliable and high-performance electronics.
- Review Panasonic's electronics design rules and preferred vendors. Such effort is essential for compatibility with Panasonic's manufacturing capabilities to provide a seamless flow from design
to manufacturing between TeraDiode and Panasonic Smart Factory Solutions (PSFS) division.
- Interact with Omnify to upload documents, introduce new parts, release ECOs, etc.
- Engage in vendor qualification and price negotiation.
- Communication with vendors may be required to feedback manufacturing issues, devise solutions, and monitor process capability of the vendors.
What You’ll Bring:
Education & Experience:
- Student with a concentration in Electrical or Computer Engineering with 2+ years of schooling completed
- Prior engineering internship experience strongly preferred
- Organized and hardworking engineering student looking to make an impact on a fast moving and highly technical product
- Ability to interpret and analyze test results
- Self-motivated and generally interested in lasers, physics or high precision engineering
- Effective, hard worker with a team player can-do approach
- Required to communicate with both engineering and production team members
- Must have excellent oral, written and presentation skills
Other Requirements: e.g., working conditions, physical requirements, travel, etc.
- Willing to do to perform manual labor
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Note: this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee(s) for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.