Develops and directs the implementation of effective Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) programs which reduce risks and protect the health and safety of our employees, customers and the environment; Advises management and employees about responsibilities regarding the EHS Management System (EHSMS); Audits for compliance to company and regulatory requirements; Takes or leads appropriate actions to ensure compliance is met; Provides guidance and technical assistance to supervisors and managers in identifying, evaluating, and correcting health and safety hazards; Formulates environmental health and safety policies; Assists in building a culture around stewardship for safety and the environment
1. Enhances/improves the welfare of employees and the organization through education, behavioural change, cultural support and the process of safety improvement in a quality, cost-effective manner.
2. Establishes company environmental, safety and health objectives, as well as environmental safety and health policies and standards
3. Identifies common safety and health hazards inherent in the organization's operations and establishes guidelines for protection from those hazards.
4. Audits environmental, safety and health programs for compliance with company standards, government regulations, and adequacy relative to local conditions.
5. Monitors periodic performance reports for trends and conditions and alerts management to problems.
6. Prepares statistical reports/ documentation on employee injuries and accidents as requested or required. Reviews investigation reports and takes appropriate actions; develops strategies to prevent future recurrences.
7. Ensures proper coordination of all elements of injury and illness management (workers compensation for United States locations), with the main focus on employees returning to work programs; including claims analysis and settlement recommendations; review and verify all medical, legal investigative and rehabilitation reports.
8. Interfaces with external regulatory agencies on the company’s behalf
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety, Safety Sciences, Environmental, Engineering or related field
- 5-10 years' experience
- Strong OSHA knowledge and understanding
- Safety certification preferred (for example, Certified Safety Professional (CSP))
- Demonstrated working knowledge of federal, state and local regulations and requirements
- Up to 10% travel to company offices and customer locations
- Excellent computer skills in MS Office, particularly Outlook, Excel, & Word
- Ability to take innovative approaches to improve processes and solve problems
- Must be detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills
Must be self-starter with the ability to work in a team environment