Panasonic – Director, Legal Operations
Every moment of every day, people all over the world turn to Panasonic to make their lives simpler, more enjoyable, more productive and more secure. Since our founding almost a century ago, we’ve been committed to improving peoples’ lives and making the world a better place–one customer, one business, one innovative leap at a time. Come join our journey.
Click here to learn more about how Panasonic is creating a better life, a better world.
Watch this video to see how our employees are shaping the technologies that move us.
What You'll Get to Do:
In this role, you will report directly to the Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Secretary and be responsible for designing, implementing, leading, overseeing and managing all non-legal operational aspects of the global Legal function, including financial management and budgeting, IT system needs, contract management and outside counsel and vendor management. The position is also responsible for establishing and training on legal policies and procedures, departmental communications and project management support, as well as serving in a chief of staff capacity for the General Counsel. The role will manage one direct report, the Legal Operations Manager.
Budget Planning and Management:
- In coordination with the Finance support team, prepare, assess, advise and report on Legal budget and forecasts to ensure effective and efficient use of resources
- Drive best-in-class practices in law firm billing arrangements - e.g., matter budgeting, utilization of various forms of alternative fee arrangements to manage expenses and foster predictability, enforcement of outside counsel billing guidelines
KPIs and Insights:
- Collaborate with key stakeholders and internal business partners to identify, maintain, analyze and improve key metrics impacting Legal performance. Track all KPIs and outcomes department wide;
- Supplement the Legal Department’s processes with analytics and information that provide increased transparency, business intelligence and comprehension to enable decision-making;
- Develop means by which to continuously measure and promote the value-add of the global Legal Department - e.g., key performance indicators
- Collaborate with Finance, IT, and other internal business partners to assist in development of needed improvements to address current and future Legal operational performance
- Direct, communicate and implement effective processes and procedures that support short, mid, and long-term Legal Department strategic objectives
- Formalize systematic and efficient processes for the management of contracts, outside counsel, and other external business vendor obligations
- Identify and act upon areas for continuous improvement of the global Legal function, including operational efficiencies, incorporation of new technology, professional growth and development, and implementing emerging best practices in legal operations.
- Evaluate, communicate, champion and provide business cases for new services and systems that increase effectiveness and enhance the value being created by the Legal Department
- Partner with other members of leadership and staff to ensure that the services provided by the Legal Department are meeting the needs of the business and are consistent with the strategic business direction
- Establish processes for periodically collecting internal business partner feedback on the performance of the Legal Department and individual professionals therein - i.e. Department performance reviews
- In close coordination with other members of the Legal Department, establish, oversee and manage the Company’s Preferred Provider outside counsel network
- Manage and oversee the engagement, on-boarding and off-boarding of temporary and contract staff for the Legal Department - when applicable
- Oversee and manage the process to periodically evaluate the performance of outside law firms and their individual timekeepers working on Panasonic matters, and communicate consolidated evaluation feedback to the law firms
- Identify and develop knowledge, strategies, procedures and solutions to ensure business continuity
- Help organize, plan and conduct various Legal Department meetings- i.e. chief of staff role supporting the Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Secretary
Expected Areas of Competence:
- Exceptional communication skills - written and verbal - as well as the ability to interact and collaborate with all areas of the business and Legal Department at all levels, including senior management
- Strategic thinker who sets the future state vision and adeptly manages and motivates the team to accomplish defined goals and objectives
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with superior attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of projects; self-motivated and proactive in identifying and recommending ways to do things better, more efficiently and cost-effectively
- Proven negotiation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to network and build relationships internally as well as externally - experience in delivering strong messages in a professional, diplomatic manner
- Financial acumen with a solid understanding of budgeting and expense forecasting
- Working knowledge of technology and systems utilized in the legal service industry
- Effective leader and manager of teams and individuals
- Global focus with an ability to comprehend and adapt to varying customs, practices, cultures and styles in a wide variety of international markets
- Continuous improvement mindset
- A minimum of 10 or more years of experience in an operations function for a law firm or corporate legal department, or equivalent experience
- Preferred candidate will have experience working in both a law firm and in-house legal setting
- Bachelor’s degree required - a JD or MBA is preferred, but not required
- Relevant project management experience and or skills
- Change management experience a plus
- People supervisory and or management experience is preferred
- Experience in establishing and managing legal budgets and forecasting legal expenses
- Experience with law department technologies including, but not limited to, e-billing, document management, discovery management and contract management
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive benefits
- Pet Insurance
- Paid Parental Care Leave
- Employee Referral Program
- Educational Assistance
- Flexible Work Program
- Volunteer time Off
- Casual Dress Code
- Total Well Being Program
Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law or company policy. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Pre-employment drug testing is required for safety sensitive positions or as may otherwise be required by contract or law. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Corporation of North America.
All applicants are subject to the Company’s mandatory vaccination policy. All employees are required to be fully vaccinated with an authorized COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of employment, unless they are eligible for and obtain an exemption based on a reasonable accommodation because of a disability or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.