Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking ambitious members to lead the world’s largest lithium ion battery initiative. With the superior battery designs and the fastest manufacturing lines in the world, Panasonic is producing millions of batteries per day in the Gigafactory to support Tesla’s electric vehicle and power wall businesses. Panasonic invites you to join us in this ongoing, full-scale effort to electrify our society. At PENA, members quickly become experts in the fundamentals of lithium-ion cell technology. They will work alongside leaders within the manufacturing teams to integrate their developed knowledge coupled with high speed, automated manufacturing methods to produce the highest performance and highest quality lithium ion batteries.
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking a General Manager of Digital Transformation who will be responsible for developing and leading various teams that proactively manage and support all manufacturing systems related to production at the Gigafactory. This role will be reporting directly to the Vice President of Engineering & Battery Technology.
The criticality of this role cannot be overstated. As PENA continues to redefine what is possible in high-volume battery manufacturing, the General Manager will be responsible for perpetuating the company’s outstanding trajectory through key initiatives. Many of these initiatives combine software, systems engineering, and big data analytics to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems. The majority of our digital development focuses on optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation.
Primary Role and Responsibilities
- Lead a Digital Transformation Team composed of groups responsible for:
- PENA Manufacturing Information System (MIS) including PENA Manufacturing Execution System (MES) and Maintenance Management System (MMS)
- SCADA development and implementation
- Product Lifecycle Management (PLM)
- Data Analytics
- Controls systems strategic development
- Lead development of digital systems that can be readily expanded to other Panasonic cell manufacturing facilities and so that leadership can readily monitor manufacturing operations worldwide.
- Research, evaluate, and deploy latest innovations in manufacturing execution systems, IoT, PLM, data analytic, and Industry 4.0 technology
- Collaborate with cross-functional engineering teams (IT/Systems/QC/MFG) inside PENA
- Collaborate with Panasonic North America (PNA) Chief Information Officer, Panasonic Information Systems Company – Americas (PISCA), and Panasonic Production Equipment (PPE) Company to ensure harmonious operation of PENA MIS within the Panasonic network
- Champion roll out of innovative PENA systems to other Panasonic cell manufacturing operations
- Provide strategic direction to PENA leadership
- Develop high performing team and future leaders by coaching and improving individual capability through performance management systems and processes.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Qualifications (Education, Experience and/or Certification)
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Engineering, Data Communication required. MS and or MBA Preferred with 10 years minimum Manufacturing experience.
- 5+ years of experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment (1M+ units per day) including industries such as batteries or electronic devices.
- 7+ years of experience in engineering management role
- Have good understanding about IT infrastructure, system integration
- Familiar with IT project management, risk management, change management
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proven track record at leading technical personnel.
- Excellent strategic planning and project management skills.
- Excellent verbal/written communication, interpersonal and functional team building.
- Knowledge of 6 Sigma methods and techniques, process control systems, process capability, preventive action, and continuous improvement programs required.
- Advanced skills with all MS Office Products, especially Excel and PowerPoint.
Style & Personal Attributes
The General Manager of Digital Transformation must be visionary and influential, with an ability to engage internal stakeholders at all levels. Most importantly, the candidate must have a positive attitude and a strong work ethic while also being respectful, friendly, and caring. The General Manager of Digital Transformation at Panasonic Energy of North America will be known for the following characteristics:
- Servant Leadership: Firmly believes that the company will be most successful when his/her employees are well served. Caring not just about the business goals, but the well-being of every member of his/her team, as only true success can be achieved through effectively mentoring and enriching the lives of others.
- Ethics and Values: Adhere to a code of conduct with a moral compass focused on the highest level of integrity and ethics; lives by Konosuke Matsushita’s Seven Basic Business Principles: Contribution to Society, Fairness and Honesty, Cooperation and Team Spirit, Untiring Effort for Improvement, Courtesy and Humility, Adaptability, and Gratitude.
- Leading By Example: Demonstrating and fostering, by example, a sense of urgency, strong commitment/accountability, and sound decision making to achieve goals.
- Business Acumen: Knowledge of the competitive landscape and current and emerging practices within the industry.
- Vision and Purpose: Embracing and communicating Panasonic’s vision and its goals and reflecting a dedication to success which inspires and motivates.
- Inspirational: Encouraging and inspiring colleagues and subordinates to stretch beyond what they thought they could accomplish.
- Leadership and Conflict Resolution: Being bold enough to diplomatically state opinions which may not always be popular. Ability to work through controversy turning conflicts into opportunities for improvement and striving for win/win resolutions.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy Corporation of North America.