Development and Prototyping Engineering Supervisor
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking ambitious engineers to lead the world’s largest lithium ion battery initiative. With the superior battery designs and the fastest manufacturing lines in the world, Panasonic is producing millions of batteries per day in the Gigafactory to support Tesla’s electric vehicle and power wall businesses. Panasonic invites you to join us in this ongoing, full-scale effort to electrify our society. At PENA, engineers quickly become experts in the fundamentals of lithium-ion cell technology and leaders who work with the manufacturing teams to integrate that understanding with high speed, automated manufacturing methods to produce the highest performance and quality lithium ion batteries.
- Leading a team of highly talented and motivated engineers to develop next generation manufacturing technology for one of Panasonic’s battery production processes. The duties of the team include but are not limited to:
- Identification of key areas in the production process where loss can be reduced and productivity improved via the introduction of machine automation, new equipment/processes, or equipment improvements.
- Driving development of new equipment/processes/automation solutions from concept phase to final mass production implementation (full cycle).
- Prototyping solutions quickly in house and testing/providing proof of concept on both lab and mass production scales.
- Collaborating and supporting other teams on solutions involving equipment improvement and machine automation.
- Utilizing equipment and defect data to evaluate effectiveness of developed solutions.
- Demonstrating solid troubleshooting skills and ability to quickly solve unknown problems.
- Applying technical knowledge to develop clear and standard work instructions, SOP’s and troubleshooting guides.
- Providing engineering support to production team for newly introduced technologies.
- Leading by example with a strong work ethic and a “get the job done” approach.
- Having excellent time and project management skills, including effectively allocating time and resources, clearly tracking project progress, and delivering accurate results by deadlines.
- Developing effective short-term and long-term plans for the team to achieve business targets.
- Utilizing OEE and defect data to effectively prioritize projects and activities
- Effectively communicating and working with management teams, team members, and related divisions (e.g. Production, Maintenance, Engineering, Quality Control).
- Executing high performance culture and servant leadership.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- B.S./M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field.
- Evidence of exceptional ability. Panasonic follows a culture of full-cycle engineering where members will have full responsibility and accountability for their projects from start to finish. We are looking for the best of the best.
- 5+ years of engineering experience in areas such as manufacturing, automation, equipment development, design, or other area.
- Strong analytic and decision-making abilities. Able to influence others to move towards a common goal.
- Self-motivation and resourcefulness are required.
- Able to manage multiple concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment, effectively prioritize work, and deliver quality results.
- Intuitive, adaptable, creative, and collaborative with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- 3+ years of leadership experience preferred.
- Previous experience with manufacturing equipment design and systems development.
- Experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment (1M+ units per day) such as batteries or electronic devices.
- Proven record of leading full cycle engineering, from solution concept to final product.
- Strong data analysis skills with tools such as JMP, Minitab, Python, or MATLAB are highly desired.
- Stand for extended amounts of time.
- Walk extensively around the factory (our building is 5.5 million square feet; you will definitely get your steps in!)
- Required to wear PPE (personal protective equipment) such as but not limited to; hard hat, respirator, gloves, eye protection, steel toe boots, etc.
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a largescale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory is producing cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive compensation and benefits. Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction. Panasonic Energy of North America does not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.