The Design Engineer interacts with the Design Drafter, Programmer, Sourcing, Manufacturing, and Evaluation Engineer to develop CAD models and engineering drawings to support the production of prototypes, facilitate product testing, and release final production designs.
- Responsible for concept layout, design and development, using 3D CAD software, of refrigeration system products, components or services from product specifications including formed sheet metal, fabricated copper tubing & headers, welded structural frames, product sub-assemblies, and top-level system assemblies.
- Understand our customers’ needs and follow the processes required for developing and releasing the product at a high-quality level on time to customer request.
- Plans and coordinates implementation of product releases and engineering change notices including creation of new solution items, item revisions, formal drawing reviews & approvals, and bill-of-material management.
- Responsible for determining and improving overall innovation, quality, function and cost of the product. Initiate studies of new and existing designs to incorporate new cost-effective technology to maintain our competitive edge.
- Lead a project team of multi-functional and multi-departmental personnel for on-time release of quality and cost-effective products.
- Utilize contemporary techniques like Computer Aided Design, Six Sigma, Kaizen, Reliability Analysis, VA/VE, A3, 8D, DFMEA, FRACAS, etc.
- Performs hands-on troubleshooting efforts and implements corrective actions for products, processes and tooling.
- Responsible for accuracy of all engineering information issued regarding assigned projects including PLM related attributes, BOM structure, product specifications, test reports, design review documentation, etc. Initiate and produce technical input for product documentation.
- Facilitate Method-of-Assembly documentation to clearly define the parts list, manufacturing sequence of assembly, specifications for critical operations, and other relevant notes.
- Develop detailed specifications, detailed program plans and work breakdown structure, milestones, major review, schedule, cost, etc.
- Complete programs on schedule and on budget meeting all technical and customer requirements.
- Validate new designs thru prototype builds and first-article inspections. Resolve any issues identified on the manufacturing floor
- Capable of developing and communicating project plans and status.
- Maintain technical competence and up-to-date knowledge on all relevant mechanical, electrical, manufacturing and computer technologies.
- Attend training courses as needed.
- 2 – 5 years of Product Design and Evaluation experience
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
- Microsoft office proficient
- Proficiency using 3D solid modeling CAD software (SolidEdge preferred)
- Excellent communication skills, oral & written.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Low-level project management experience and a general understanding of Manufacturing processes preferred
- Understand refrigeration systems, thermo-dynamics, heat transfer and structural analysis principles. Basic electrical component knowledge.
- Sheetmetal Design experience a plus.
- PLM System Experience – Teamcenter, Windchill, etc.
- MRP System Experience – Oracle, Mapics, BAAN, tc.