Join our dynamic Engineering team to support and develop new products for the leader in the Food Retailing Industry. This position will support a variety of new and existing products and projects.
The Engineering Designer interacts with Test/Reliability Engineering, Sales, Marketing, Sourcing, Assembly Manufacturing, Sheetmetal Fabrication, and other teams to develop and release CAD models, Engineering drawings and PLM tasks to support the production of prototypes, facilitate product testing, and release final production designs.
- Understand our customers’ needs and processes required for developing and releasing products at a high-quality level and on-time to customer request.
- Responsible for innovative concept layout, design and development of refrigeration system products, components or services. from product specifications, using 3D CAD and other tools. This includes formed sheet metal, fabricated copper tubing & headers, welded structural frames, molded and extruded plastics, product sub-assemblies, and top-level system assemblies, instruction drawings and basic electrical layout drawings and schematics.
- Implement product releases and Engineering change notices including creation of new solution items, item revisions, formal drawing reviews & approvals, and bill-of-material creation and management. Ensure the correct processes and tools are utilized for implementation.
- Responsible for accuracy of all engineering information issued regarding assigned projects including PLM related attributes, BOM structure, product specifications, design review documentation, etc.
- Develop Method-of-Assembly documentation to clearly define the parts list, manufacturing sequence of assembly, specifications for critical operations, and other relevant notes.
- Utilize contemporary processes during design consideration, such as CAD, FEA, CFD, Six Sigma, Reliability Analysis, VA/VE, DFMEA, FRACAS, etc.
- Adhere to company and industry design and drafting standards to models, drawings, and naming conventions.
- Coordinate with outsourced part suppliers/vendors on part design, tooling, cost, etc.
- Complete projects/assignments by target dates.
- Capable of helping develop and communicate project plans and status.
- Participate and initiate design reviews, schedule planning, cost analysis, etc.
- Initiate designs to incorporate new cost-effective technology to maintain our competitive edge.
- Play a key role and actively participate in project teams of multi-functional and multi-departmental members.
- Validate new designs thru prototype builds and first-article inspections.
- Perform hands-on troubleshooting efforts and implement corrective actions for products, processes and tooling.
- Initiate, produce and support product technical documentation creation (manuals, data sheets, etc.).
- Resolve any design related issues identified on the product manufacturing lines. Must provide support on location, at the lines in the manufacturing plant.
- Maintain technical competence and up-to-date knowledge on all relevant mechanical, electrical, manufacturing and computer technologies. Attend training courses as needed.
- Up to 5% travel within the USA and Mexico may be required to support manufacturing builds and field installations. Travel passport or the ability to obtain one is required (Hussmann compensates fees).
- 5-10 years of work experience on Product design and engineering changes implementation
- AAS in applicable Drafting/Design field or 2 Year Technical Certificate
- Proficiency using 3D solid modeling CAD software (SolidEdge preferred)
- Strong analytical skills
- Microsoft Office proficient
- Good communication skills, oral & written
- Positive and proactive attitude.
- Low-level project management experience and a general understanding of Manufacturing processes
- Sheetmetal Design experience a plus
- PLM System Experience – Teamcenter, Windchill, etc.
- MRP System Experience – Oracle, Mapics, BAAN, etc.