We are hiring multiple candidates for this position.
Our new global headquarters is conveniently located in Irvine, CA near John Wayne Airport in the Park Place development. For our onsite and hybrid employees you will be able to enjoy amenities such as access to many restaurants and shops, running trails, a fitness deck, outdoor seating, dry cleaning, car wash, free garage parking, car charging stations, shuttle service for train commuters, outdoor games like bocce, horseshoes, gaming tables, pickle ball, and basketball. For more information on Park Place visit www.parkplaceirvine.com
Who We Are:
Ever wonder who brings the entertainment to your flights? Panasonic Avionics Corporation is #1 in the industry for delivering inflight products such as movies, games, WiFi, and now Bluetooth headphone connectivity!
How exciting would it be to be a part of the innovation that goes into creating technology that delights millions of people in an industry that’s here to stay! With our company’s history spanning over 40 years, you will have stability, career growth opportunities, and will work with the brightest minds in the industry. And we are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that will help our organization thrive! We seek diversity in many areas such as background, culture, gender, ways of thinking, skills and more.
As a Data Staff Engineer at Panasonic Avionics, you are responsible for all aspects of data acquisition, data transformation, enrichment, curation, warehousing, data quality, governance, analytics scheduling and operationalization to drive high-visibility, cross-division outcomes. Investigate, evaluate, test and recommend technical solutions to meet product and business needs for data management. The Data Staff Engineer will support software developers, database architects, data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture.What you will be doing:
Data Platform and Data Management
- Own Enterprise Master and product data sets from the definition phase through to production deployment.
- Create data environments and/or data sets to serve a wide range of data users, including but not limited to Data Scientists, Data Analysts, Business Analysts etc.
- Develop Dashboards and reports using reporting and analytics tools such as AWS QuickSight or Tableau or similar to provide KPIs, metrics and analytical data.
- Perform Data Management, Preparation, Transformation, Analysis using SQL and Python notebooks using pandas, numpy and other modules.
- Creating and Managing Data Catalogs, definitions, and data lineage.
- Develop and implement Data Governance policies and tools.
- Build distributed, scalable, and reliable data pipelines that ingest and process variety of data at scale and in batch, real-time and near real time.
- Author extract, transform and load (ETL) scripts for moving and curating data into data sets for storage and use by a data lake, data lake-house, warehouse and DataMart.
- Design datasets (tables, views, materialized views) and stored procedures in Redshift SQL or similar technologies.
- Develop tools and procedures to monitor Data Platform Infrastructure, automate alerting and alarms.
- Design and Develop Data Quality and Data Validation tools to improve data quality.
- Provide solutions for the design and implementation of Change Data Capture, EMR, Big Data processing Infrastructure.
- Support the evaluation of big data technologies and prototype solutions to improve data processing architecture.
- Develop streaming solutions using Amazon Kinesis or Kafka or similar technologies to bring data from real time streaming data sources.
- Troubleshoot and determine root cause of complex data provenance, metadata issues and engineering questions that may involve interfacing with various technical staff in multiple organizations and with differing levels of expertise.
- Perform analysis of large data sets using components of a big data ecosystem.
- Deploy and maintain Hadoop/Big Data/Spark and database storage Infrastructures in AWS cloud.
- Optimize ETL and ELT jobs to deliver complex and large data sets in a scalable and cost optimized manner.
- Investigate, evaluate, test and recommend technical solutions for future.
- Mentor and coach junior data engineers on data management technologies and techniques.
- Act as a technical advisor to business and product teams for data processing and data management needs.
- Collaborate with other teams to design, develop, and deploy data management tools that support both operations and product use cases.
- Evaluate and advise on technical aspects of open work requests in the product backlog with the project lead.
Base pay offered may vary depending on skills, experience, job-related knowledge and location.
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- 8 years of professional experience as a data software engineer.
- 5 years of professional experience as a data engineer or data staff engineer in large enterprises.
- 5 years of experience with AWS cloud and AWS Big Data computing design, provisioning, and tuning.
- Desired Certifications: AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner, AWS Certified Database-Specialty, AWS Certified Data Analytics-Specialty, AWS Certified Machine Learning-Specialty, AWS Certified Solutions Architect Professional.
- Previous experience as a Data Staff Engineer / Database Administrator and/or Business Intelligence Analyst is a plus.
- Extensive knowledge of database concepts, data modeling and data management techniques and design principles.
- Detailed knowledge of varied database architectures, software, and facilities for on-premises and cloud platforms.
- Successful history of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large, disconnected data sets.
- Experience with programming languages - Python and SQL (required), Scala, Ruby, R Database technologies performance tuning concepts, AWS RDS, RedShift, MySQL.
- Experience with big data batch processing tools: Hadoop MapReduce, Elasticsearch, PIG, Hive, Cascading/Scalding, Apache Spark, AWS Glue, AWS EMR.
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Kinesis, Kafka, MQTT or similar.
- Experience with relational NoSQL databases including DynamoDB or similar.
- Experience to optimize Spark Jobs using Spark UI and set custom Spark configuration parameters wherever needed for Job completion.
- Experienced to develop and automate Docker workloads using AWS ECS Fargate for enrichment, curation of jobs.
- Experience developing ETL Jobs to process raw and curated dataset using AWS Glue and orchestrate using Glue Workflows.
- Automate Glue ETL definition and workflows using AWS Cloud Formation Template (CFT).
- Ability to write JSON, XML, YAML and other data definition schemas.
- Works on advanced complex technical projects or business issues requiring state of the art technical knowledge or industry.
- Works on significant and unique issues where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangibles. Exercises independent judgment in methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Ability to provide a leadership role for the work group through knowledge in area of specialization.
- May act as in-house expert on specific data platform technologies.
- Previous experience as a Data Engineer / Database Administrator and/or Business Intelligence Analyst.
- Will champion significant projects, programs and business initiatives using demonstrated creativity and ingenuity.
Contribution to Society | Fairness & Honesty | Cooperation & Team Spirit | Untiring Effort for Improvement | Courtesy & Humility | Adaptability | Gratitude
What we offer:
At Panasonic Avionics Corporation we realize the most important aspects in leading our industry are the bright minds behind everything we do. We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive, comprehensive and flexible benefits program.
- Paid time off: Exempt Salaried employees receive unlimited PTO. This means that there is no fixed number, range, or limit to the amount of Personal and Vacation Days that may be taken for exempt employees. Non-exempt hourly employees accrue 14 vacation days per year + 7 sick days + 3 personal days. Accrual rate increases with tenure. All employees receive 11 company paid holidays per year plus a paid company-wide shut down in the U.S. between Christmas and New Year.
- Insurance: Medical insurance offerings from Aetna and Kaiser (CA &HI). Options for Employee Only, Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner, Employee + Children, or Family. Dental PPO and DMO options & Vision insurance through EyeMed or VSP.
- 401K with 50% match on up to 8% contribution, full vested from day 1
- Other offerings include: Wellness Program, Counseling services, FSA & HSA, Life Insurance for employee, spouse and child, AD&D Insurance, Long-term and Short-term disability, Critical Illness Insurance, Accident Insurance, Legal Assistance, Pet Insurance, Identity Theft Protection, Dependent Care FLSA, Education Assistance, Commuter Program, Employee Purchase Program, Service Award Program.
All applicants are subject to Company policies, third party customer and worksite requirements, and government requirements, regarding vaccination and/or testing for COVID-19. Where permitted by applicable law, applicants may be required to be fully vaccinated with an authorized COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of employment, unless they are eligible for and obtain an exemption based on a reasonable accommodation because of a disability or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. While the Company strongly encourages COVID-19 vaccinations, it may require vaccination and/or testing for positions in which third party customer, worksite, or government requirements apply, in accordance with applicable law. At those locations where requirements apply, exemptions will be considered based on applicable law.
Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law or company policy. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Pre-employment drug testing is required for safety sensitive positions or as may otherwise be required by contract or law. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Avionics Corporation.