Data Scientist Supervisor
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking ambitious engineers to lead the world’s largest lithium ion battery initiative. With the superior battery designs and the fastest manufacturing lines in the world, Panasonic is producing millions of batteries per day in the Gigafactory to support Tesla’s electric vehicle and power wall businesses. Panasonic invites you to join us in this ongoing, full-scale effort to electrify our society. At PENA, engineers quickly become experts in the fundamentals of lithium-ion cell technology and leaders who work with the manufacturing teams to integrate that understanding with high speed, automated manufacturing methods to produce the highest performance and quality lithium ion batteries.
- Being a part of Panasonic’s Engineering team and collaborating with team members to tackle challenging problems. The Engineering team is responsible for the technical development and management of Panasonic’s state-of-art battery manufacturing process including electrode, winding, assembly, and formation.
- Leading development of machine learning models and predictive analysis techniques including both repeatable patterns in data and discovering new features that reduce variability in manufacturing process.
- Working closely with other team members from different processes to increase understanding of failure modes, performance, and life expectancy of battery products. Supervising a team of data scientists through goal setting, clear deadlines, and mentoring
- Work closely with multiple teams to align goals, development, and priorities
- Providing technical data analysis support to engineering and production teams to resolve complex manufacturing process issues.
- Educating other members on statistical analysis and data science.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- B.S./M.S. in Computer Science, Applied Math, Statistics, or related field with an emphasis on data analysis.
- 5-10 years of data science/data analytics experience.
- Excellent organization, project management, and leadership skills.
- Excellent knowledge of machine learning algorithms and classical statistics counterparts for classification, clustering, regression analysis, Bayesian modeling, probability theory, and information retrieval.
- Excellent understanding of manufacturing/engineering principles and capability of combining practical knowledge and results via data mining to optimize product quality and performance and manufacturing process.
- Proficiency with statistical analysis tools (e.g. JMP, R, SAS).
- Familiarity with data management tools and coding best practices.
- Lithium ion battery knowledge is preferred but not required.
- Stand for extended amounts of time.
- Walk extensively around the factory (our building is 5.5 million square feet; you will definitely get your steps in!)
- Required to wear PPE (personal protective equipment) such as but not limited to; hard hat, respirator, gloves, eye protection, steel toe boots, etc.
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a largescale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory is producing cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive compensation and benefits. Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction. Panasonic Energy of North America does not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.