Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory plans to produce cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
- Being a part of Panasonic’s Battery Engineering team and collaborating with team members to tackle challenging problems. The Battery Engineering team is responsible for the technical development and management of Panasonic’s state-of-art battery manufacturing process including electrode, winding, assembly, and formation.
- Leading development of machine learning models/predictive analysis techniques including both repeatable patterns in data and discovering new features that reduce variability in manufacturing process.
- Understanding business needs and develop methods and tools to find patterns in structured and unstructured manufacturing data.
- Prototyping and implementing creative solutions for improving battery quality and performance and interface with cross-functional teams to execute the solution.
- Providing data analysis support to production teams to resolve complex manufacturing process issues.
- Working closely with other team members from different processes to increase understanding of failure modes, performance, and life expectancy of battery products.
- Educating other members on statistical analysis and data science.
- Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- M.S. or PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Math, Statistics, or related fields with an emphasis on Machine Learning.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience.
- Excellent knowledge of machine learning algorithms, classification, clustering, regression analysis, Bayesian modeling, probability theory, and information retrieval.
- Excellent understanding of manufacturing/engineering principles and capability of combining practical knowledge and results via data mining to optimize product quality and performance and manufacturing process.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language (e.g. Java/C, Python, MATLAB).
- Proficiency with statistical analysis tools (e.g. JMP, R, SAS).
In addition to an environment that’s as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.
Panasonic Energy of North America will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.