The Data Engineer will be responsible for expanding and optimizing data and data pipeline architecture for PENA, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross functional teams. The Engineer will support our software developers, database architects, data analysts and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of improving and optimizing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
- Identifying, designing, and implementing internal process improvements including re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, optimizing data delivery, and automating manual processes
- Explore and build algorithms and design and test prototypes to enhance data quality, efficiency, and reliability
- Collaborate with data scientists and other engineering and operations teams on several projects
- Develop, construct, test and maintain database infrastructure and architectures
- Prepare data for prescriptive and predictive modeling
- Evaluate business needs and objectives and identify opportunities for data acquisition
- Analyze and organize raw data from different sources to meet business requirements
- Build data systems and pipelines
- Working with engineering, operations and executive teams and assisting them with data-related technical issues and infrastructure needs
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic/Required: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Statistics, or similar discipline
- Preferred: Master’s Degree
- Minimum of 4+ years of Data Engineer or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience building and optimizing data models, data structures and meta-data
- Hands-on experience with scripting and programming languages like Python, R, GoLang, Julia, Java, C++
- Hands-on experience with relational NoSQL and SQL databases like Oracle, Postgres, MySQL, Cassandra
- Hands-on experience with software and tools like Kafka, Spark, Hadoop, Tableau, JMP
- Hands-on experience with workflow management and pipeline tools like Airflow, Luigi, and Azkaban
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving & communication skills
- Ability to identify and analyze data patterns and quality discrepancies
- Experience leading projects and coordinating with cross-functional teams
- Experience documenting metrics and interpreting them as indicators of data quality.
- Must have working-level knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English
- Good understanding of various models and phases of SDLC
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Hands-on experience with Docker and Kubernetes is a plus
- Knowledge of Windows and Linux in Desktop and Server environment is a plus
- Alignment to Panasonic’s seven (7) core principles (contribution to society, fairness and honesty, cooperation and team spirit, untiring effort for improvement, courtesy and humility, adaptability, gratitude)
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Sit: 20%
- Walk: 50%
- Stand: 20%
- Lift: 10%
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 20 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 35 lbs.: Occasional
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.): Occasional
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.