Who We Are:
Ever wonder who brings the entertainment to your flights? Panasonic Avionics Corporation is #1 in the industry for delivering inflight products such as movies, games, WiFi, and now Bluetooth headphone connectivity!
How exciting would it be to be a part of the innovation that goes into creating technology that delights millions of people in an industry that’s here to stay! With our company’s history spanning over 40 years, you will have stability, career growth opportunities, and will work with the brightest minds in the industry. And we are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that will help our organization thrive! We seek diversity in many areas such as background, culture, gender, ways of thinking, skills and more.
Performs as on-site support liaison between Panasonic and Airline Customers and OEMs to ensure customer satisfaction and optimum performance of all Panasonic equipment. Provides service, technical guidance, support, and training to airline customers to ensure product performance and reliability objectives are met. Represent Panasonic Field Engineering interests in resolution of technical issues with other Panasonic and customer engineering departments. The position is not open for remote work and must be based in the Chicago, IL area.
Service, Support, and Troubleshooting
- Provide technical guidance and field assistance and training to Panasonic personnel, and airline customers in troubleshooting and resolving system hardware, network, and software issues. Provides accurate, detailed and timely responses to problems and queries.
- Consolidate and evaluate feedback from Customer Repair Shops, Line Maintenance personnel and other operational departments. Monitor failure trends and highlight possible quality or reliability problems. Communicate findings with the Product Engineering and Reliability departments to ensure accurate and timely resolution.
- Provide troubleshooting assistance and support for new equipment installations, enhancements or modifications for hardware, wiring, and software integration efforts and issue resolution. Work closely with engineering departments to ensure timely and accurate corrective action is achieved.
- Review mechanical, electrical, and software installation documentation to verify that all specifications are met.
- Work with training department to conduct operational, line and maintenance training for airline customers.
- Assists in aircraft delivery and support during flight test and customer flight acceptance.
- Ensures interface between Airline customer and Panasonic product at OEM, (i.e. Boeing), and manage any A/C delivery issues or post-delivery resolution commitments.
- Checks reliability of data. Monitors trends and analyzes data to identify systemic problems.
- Work with training department to conduct operational, line and maintenance training for airline customers.
- Maintain a detailed working knowledge of aircraft avionics systems which interface with Panasonic equipment.
- Participate in resolving system operation, maintenance or reliability issues by conducting investigations, collecting data to identify the scope of problems, and participating in the recovery plan as required with other departments. Monitor failure trends and possible quality or reliability problems.
- Provide field inputs to other Panasonic departments, (i.e. Product Support Engineering, Field Engineering Offices, Repair Center, Training, and Program Management) concerning technical product issues, installation or documentation related problems. Collect data required by Support Engineering to evaluate problem areas within the system software.
- Provide a consistent communication path to engineering for problem resolution. Establish a strong inter-departmental Engineering interface and support.
- Monitors and coordinates engineering solutions and implementation of fixes/solutions. Assists in aircraft delivery and support during flight test and customer flight acceptance.
- Other duties as required.
- Perform as engineering liaison for development or integration of next generation Panasonic IFE systems.
- Develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of Panasonic products and installations, including system software and associated equipment. Remain current as new products and enhancements are released. Continually obtain new data, specifications, and interface often with the groups developing new products and software.
- Provide regular, accurate and detailed technical reports to Field Support management and/or appropriate departments on all activities, observed field problems, and customer issues. Provides clear and concise written and verbal communication and often participates in continuing problem investigations.
- Manage the relationship between Panasonic and the assigned customers to ensure satisfaction and long-term business relationship.
- Provide technical guidance and assistance to Customers in troubleshooting and resolution of system & interface problems.
- Consistently exhibit professionalism to enhance the customer’s perception of the Company
What We're Looking For:
- Bachelor’s Degree/equivalent educational qualification in Computer Science, Information Technology, Electronics, Engineering or related degree is preferred. 9 years of experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Typically requires 5-7 years of experience as Field Engineer or Product Engineer, specializing in electronics/avionics systems, software or broadcast technology.
- Ability to prioritize and carry out responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Works on problems of moderate scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of a variety of factors.
- Network/Software experience or qualification.
- Ability to work as a strong individual contributor within a team.
- Working knowledge of Linux/Unix commands, file system structure and overall familiarity with the various processes.
- Capable of identifying engineering problems in software and hardware and reporting to Field Engineering management, (i.e. problems can be fundamental design issues with software, power, and electronic components or they can be aircraft environment related).
- Knowledge of TCP/IP networks and troubleshooting methods.
- Ability to understand and use wiring schematics, diagrams and other engineering/aircraft documentation preferred.
- Ability to operate standard electronic test equipment and tooling.
- Familiarity with FAA, CAA, and ATA requirements for avionics equipment.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem solving and communication skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- MySQL database experience a plus.
- Proficient in the utilization of MS office suite and Oracle.
- Proficient working knowledge of aircraft systems that interface with PAC equipment.
- Software and system development and integration experience is desired.
- Ability to carry out assigned responsibilities while working independently and/or closely with peers and supervision; capable of establishing work priorities.
- Ability to multitask and apply priority to projects with adaptability and urgency while meeting timelines.
- Ability to write and converse effectively with peers from Panasonic, Airline customers and other vendors on a technical level.
- Ability to present Panasonic interests to non-technical people in meetings and various reports.
- Demonstrated engineering-level product knowledge on avionics and related software areas.
- Applies company policies and procedures to resolve a variety of issues.
- Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Understands Recommended Spares requirements and coordinates the delivery of spare equipment for airline customers. Review RSPLS for Marketing Business Proposals.
- Willing to work weekends and beyond normal business hours as required. Ability to work all shift hours and weekends.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license and be able to meet the requirements of the airport authority for access and vehicle operation on their premises.
- Ability to pass extensive security and background checks.
- Ability to travel up to 50%, both domestic and international, often on short notice.
- Ability to climb and work from ladder or platform, and endure sitting, standing, bending or twisting for extended periods.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds, and operate in confined spaces for extended periods.
Contribution to Society | Fairness & Honesty | Cooperation & Team Spirit | Untiring Effort for Improvement | Courtesy & Humility | Adaptability | Gratitude
What We Offer:
At Panasonic Avionics Corporation we realize the most important aspects in leading our industry are the bright minds behind everything we do. We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive, comprehensive and flexible benefits program.
- Paid time off: Exempt Salaried employees receive flexible paid time off. This means that there is no fixed number, range, or limit to the amount of Personal and Vacation Days that may be taken for exempt employees. Non-exempt hourly employees accrue 14 vacation days per year + 7 sick days + 3 personal days. Accrual rate increases with tenure. All employees receive 11 company paid holidays per year. We also close our offices at the corporate level in the U.S. between Christmas and New Year. For operational positions that are expected to work on holidays, we provide additional compensation for hours worked.
- Health Insurance: Medical insurance offerings from Aetna and Kaiser (CA &HI). Options for Employee Only, Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner, Employee + Children, or Family. Dental PPO and DMO options & Vision insurance through EyeMed or VSP.
- 401K with 50% match on up to 8% contribution, full vested from day 1.
- Washington residents only are eligible for: Washington’s Family and Medical Leave program and Washington’s Paid Sick Leave program.
- Other offerings include: Wellness Program, Counseling services, FSA & HSA, Life Insurance for employee, spouse and child, AD&D Insurance, Long-term and Short-term disability, Critical Illness Insurance, Accident Insurance, Legal Assistance, Pet Insurance, Identity Theft Protection, Dependent Care FLSA, Education Assistance, Commuter Program, Employee Purchase Program, Service Award Program.
All applicants are subject to Company policies, third party customer and worksite requirements, and government requirements, regarding vaccination and/or testing for COVID-19. Where permitted by applicable law, applicants may be required to be fully vaccinated with an authorized COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of employment, unless they are eligible for and obtain an exemption based on a reasonable accommodation because of a disability or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. While the Company strongly encourages COVID-19 vaccinations, it may require vaccination and/or testing for positions in which third party customer, worksite, or government requirements apply, in accordance with applicable law. At those locations where requirements apply, exemptions will be considered based on applicable law.
Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law or company policy. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Pre-employment drug testing is required for safety sensitive positions or as may otherwise be required by contract or law. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Avionics Corporate.