Panasonic – Counsel, Intellectual Property (Bilingual English/Japanese)
Every moment of every day, people all over the world turn to Panasonic to make their lives simpler, more enjoyable, more productive and more secure. Since our founding almost a century ago, we’ve been committed to improving peoples’ lives and making the world a better place–one customer, one business, one innovative leap at a time. Come join our journey.
Click here to learn more about how Panasonic is creating a better life, a better world.
Watch this video to see how our employees are shaping the technologies that move us.
Do you have IP litigation and settlement negotiation experience? Do you enjoy advising multiple stakeholders and managing organizational risk and exposure? If so, we encourage you to apply! In this role, the Counsel, IP will support a variety of Panasonic products and use their legal expertise to support our IP practice area. In this role, you will join a global high performing Legal team and enjoy high visibility and extensive interface with Japan and U.S. stakeholders.
What you will get to do:
- Locally manage the U.S. patent related disputes and litigation for in-house clients (“Clients” ) either directly or through outside litigation counsel.
- Effectively and accurately communicate risks, issues, procedures, and legal concepts to clients regarding such disputes and litigation cases.
- Negotiate license contracts and dispute settlement agreements with counter-parties for the benefit of Clients.
- Effectively and accurately communicate with Clients regarding negotiations and related issues by clearly expressing factual and legal issues orally and/or in written form.
- Conduct legal and factual research.
- To maintain procedural schedule and deadlines to properly prepare actions
Patent Asset Management:
- To review Panasonic Group’s patent assets to select high-value patents to fit the purposes of Client-divisions.
- Be responsible for communications and time management as to in-house clients at PC or any other Panasonic company.
- Manage external communications with potential transactional partners or outside professionals in coordination with President.
- Patent Pool & Technology Standardization
- Act either as Panasonic’s representative or as his/her Advisor regarding important patent pool licensing activities in which PIPCA is involved from time to time.
- Render legal advice to PIPCA’s management (IPC).
- Staff Training
- Train professional trainees from Clients who are assigned to PIPCA.
- To perform limited administrative tasks necessary to properly render the duties described above, or direct administrative staff for that purpose.
What You’ll Bring:
Education & Experience:
- Bilingual language skills (English and Japanese) to facilitate communication with PC Japan
- J.D. Required
- Bar Membership in at least one State (CA Bar preferable)
- Minimum five years of IP litigation and licensing practice experience in either a corporate in-house department or private practice with a nationally reputable law firm
- This role is based in Torrance, CA.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally when travel resumes (20%)
- Flexibility to operate efficiently in a large multinational organization where internal clients are located both in Japan and the U.S.
- Ability to quickly understand Clients’ needs and to advise proper actions under each given circumstance if involved risk or transaction is significant, but independently as to routine matters.
- Knowledge of Japanese as a second language or familiarity and interest in business and culture involving Japan and Japanese organizations
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive benefits
- Pet Insurance
- Paid Parental Care Leave
- Employee Referral Program
- Educational Assistance
- Flexible Work Program
- Volunteer time Off
- Casual Dress Code
- Total Well Being Program
Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law or company policy. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Pre-employment drug testing is required for safety sensitive positions or as may otherwise be required by contract or law. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Corporation of North America.