Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory plans to produce cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
Cost Accountant responsible for product costing, product manufacturing analysis, analysis of equipment utilization, and inventory valuation.
Cost Accounting and Raw Material Inventory Balances
- Supports monthly financial close, cycle counts, and inventory
- Confirm monthly departmental raw material expenses and proper cost allocations
- Monthly reconciliations of vendor statements vs. PENA raw material payables
- Assists with monthly inventory research and accounting of variances (PPV, Inventory, etc.)
- Monthly raw material standard vs. actual reconciliation and corresponding variance explanations
- Various General ledger account reconciliations – ensuring accurate financial postings
- Maintains review and communications associated with cost center expenses, ensuring proper documentation and system entries
- Experience in development and analysis of standard costs
- Works closely and collaboratively with Cost Accountants, Finance, Production, Procurement, IT, and Supply Chain Management
- Position requires a proactive approach to seeking an integrated solution to inventory challenges
- Must understand how supply chain flow and manufacturing processes interact with the general ledger
- Manages spreadsheets and documentation for entry into the SAP system
- Timeliness and accuracy important
- Ability to identify issues and work within the finance team and other teams to resolve the issues
- Enter journal entries for closing at the end of each month
- Review and processing vendor invoices for payments of manufacturing raw materials, including research, correspondence and follow-up of discrepancies
- Detail oriented to ensure expense allocations are charged to the proper department and make any necessary reclassification entries
- Other various administrative support as needed
Audit and Internal Controls
- Supports Cost Accounting efforts for maintaining JSOX Internal Controls
- Assists with maintenance of accounting policies and procedures as they are developed.
- Assist auditors with any inquiries and samples
- BS in Accounting, Finance or Economics required
- 3+ years of experience in a cost accounting role
- Basic knowledge of general accounting principles and procedures
- Computer literacy, Microsoft Office and Excel spreadsheets
- Knowledge of SAP, Oracle or another fully integrated ERP system is a benefit
- Minimum 2 to 3 years of Cost Accounting experience in a manufacturing environment preferred, CMA or MBA
- Strong time management skills
- Flexibility and Multi-tasking capabilities
- Detail oriented and highly organized, with a strong analytical and problem-solving skill set
- Ability to respond in a timely and courteous manner to suppliers and PENA team members.
- Ability to work with domestic and international teams
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- Follows procedures put in place by the finance team to compile data into worksheets and databases
- Ability to use reasoning to solve problems that may arise
- Communicate effectively with fellow team members and members of other departments
- Utilize established resources to complete work efficiently and effectively
- Embrace change
- Strong customer service skills including excellent verbal, written, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- Develop successful relationships
- Responds to inquiries from other departments in a timely manner
- Demonstrate integrity and accountability
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. Panasonic Energy of North America will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy Corporation of North America.