The Chief Technology Officer will be expected to employ a hands-on, roll-up your sleeves approach to redefine software best practices, continue to grow the cloud capability, drive the latest agile software development, drive application development for user experience, and implement the necessary tools, processes, and procedures for optimum efficiency. Additionally, this person must inspire a high-level of collaboration and communication across Global teams, as well as, across the various engineering and IT groups.
The ideal candidate will bring a demonstrated history of success in leading dynamic engineering teams in highly complex and innovative environments. He/she must possess a hands-on, proactive style that delivers solutions in an efficient manner. He/she must be very flexible as the organization goes through a transition phase, but also a very strong leader who inspires confidence and stresses accountability.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Directly oversee all aspects of engineering, with a particular emphasis on working with the software engineering organization, introducing best practices and establishing department processes and policies.
- Continue to grow the cloud capability, drive the latest agile software development, drive the application development strategy for user experience, and implement the necessary tools, processes, and procedures for optimum efficiency.
- Act as a key leader in overall business technology planning, bringing current knowledge of the future vision of technology and solutions as related to Panasonic’s competitive position.
- Troubleshoot engineering failures, identify system shortcomings and affect remedial practices and procedures.
- Ensure that intellectual property is properly protected.
- Inspire a high-level of collaboration and communication across global software teams, as well as across the various engineering and IT groups.
- Maintain a deep understanding of Panasonic’s competitors’ products, capabilities, and market strategies.
- Work closely with members of senior leadership to set the strategic vision for the engineering organization and participate in strategy formulation and key decisions across the business.
- Assure that products meet customer expectations and regulatory requirements In a FAA and EASA part 21 environment.
- Collaborate with multiple functional areas to ensure that manufacturability, quality, reliability, durability, and cost requirements are addressed in product and network design.
- Ensure product quality by providing leadership in upholding quality vision, culture, structure, management systems, and processes across the business.
- Ensure business processes in new product development achieve robustness and increase efficiency.
- Review development performance against operating plans, standards and established metrics. Periodically evaluate development activity compliance with documented processes and procedures.
- Ensure that systems are in place to attract, develop, mentor, coach and retain high quality and diverse staff throughout the engineering organization.
- Possess a hands-on, proactive style that delivers solutions in an efficient manner.
- Exercise flexibility as the organization goes through a transition phase, but also a very strong leader who inspires confidence and stresses accountability.
- Responsible for reviewing and approving all engineering financial budgets, cost estimates, labor and facility requirements.
- Direct and control the activities of multiple departments through VP and Director-level managers who have overall responsibility for the successful operation of those assigned areas.
Skills & Experience Required
- 10+ years of senior executive experience leading technology innovation and engineering in organizations of significant scale, globally.
- Demonstrated success leading software development, with credible cloud experience.
- Leadership experience in a highly technical, innovative environment, with high-volume output.
- Ability to create and communicate department vision and strategy, give coaching, identify key talent, build an effective team and lead department staff.
- Experience managing a large engineering and R&D budget.
- Strategic thinker with vision for the future.
- Proven experience leading multi-cultural teams, with international experience preferred.
- Strong financial and business acumen.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills including ability to present to Executive and Board-level decision makers.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and the appetite to manage products in an environment with constant change.
- Demonstrated excellent ability to plan, assign, train and direct employees.
- Highly developed team building skills.
- Experience participating with other senior managers to establish strategic plans and objectives.
- Experience developing corporate and/or organizational policies and procedures, and authorizing their implementation.
- Experience providing direction to senior managers in various areas, groups, and/or operations.
- Experience consistently working with abstract ideas or situations across functional areas of business.
- Experience working in customer-facing roles.
- Strong blend of analytical decision making and creative problem solving.
- Demonstrated a hands-on, proactive style that delivers solutions in an efficient manner.
- Highly flexible as the organization goes through a transition phase, but also a very strong leader who inspires confidence and stresses collaboration and accountability.
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering is required.
- Advanced degree is preferred.