Certification Project Manager
The candidate will enable market access in various jurisdictions for specialized electronic transmitting equipment by obtaining telecommunications type approval (homologation) as required to fulfill commitments for all airline customer programs. Be an integral part of a cross-functional team to identify type approval requirements in various jurisdictions and execute a plan to obtain required approvals. Act as the central conformity authority for transmitting equipment. Responsible for type approval of all product lines with systems comprised of multiple units, software and complex integration requirements. Determine product certification expectations and provide appropriate communication to stakeholders throughout the company. Work with 3rd party labs to identify requirements, schedule and budget. Coordinate with procurement to ensure purchased products have approvals for each jurisdiction as required. Accountable for identification and resolution of issues which inhibit market access of product commitments. Provide status reports and maintain on-line resource of approvals/certifications/exemptions for all jurisdictions. May have budget responsibilities.
Product Certification Requirement Definition
- Define and coordinate certification requirements internally, with regulatory agencies, and customers throughout all phases of the product lifecycle.
- Act as the focal certification expert during the early phases of the product development to ensure all certification requirements are identified, planned for, and scheduled.
- Partner with product engineering and PLM to define country or region-specific type approval/homologation product requirements, including existing products, certification cost, leading to the development of a business plan, marketing strategy and forecasts for those product lines.
Definition of Project Scope/Plan
- Work with Product primes to input regulatory compliance requirements into product plans and requirements
- Collaborate with Project Management on 3rd party SOW creation/management for certification related activities.
- Identify product registration requirements of foreign registration office.
- Work with Account and program management to asses upcoming opportunities and how Regulatory Compliance impact products sales planning
- Lead the team to establish a comprehensive, end-to-end homologation project plan and schedule to which the team has “buy-in”.
Tracking & Project Management
- Create/update/maintain LRU regulatory compliance database & tracking tool to monitor status of all certification documents.
- Create a process that monitors changing Compliance rules globally and ensure updates reflected in the internal compliance tracking tool.
- Monitor product changes and obtain revisions to approval certification as needed.
- Manage supplier payments related to certification activities.
- Identify internal deliverables which may include plans, schedules and other documents, prototypes, test equipment, software, test racks and more.
- Lead cross-functional team to coordinate certification activities across functional groups to meet airline committed deliverables.
- Coordination of testing procedures in different laboratories.
- Develop and populate templates for all necessary homologation information documents, drawings, and photographs.
- Conducts other tasks as directed.
- Relied on to exercise independent judgment with minimal oversight.
- Expert ability to employ continual process improvement.
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to manage customer interface, provide status updates to management, and to interface with various stakeholders.
- The role requires excellent communication skills, ability to see the “big picture” and ability to direct efforts appropriately on prioritized tasks.
- Exceptional time management skills required, combined with a skilled ability to multiplex across different tasks/programs while tracking and maintaining issues.
- Proficient experience with Microsoft MS Office products, Excel, Project, Visio and Oracle.
- Demonstrated and proven ability to effectively and professionally work in a fast-paced, ever changing environment with stringent deadlines.
- Uses professional concepts and company objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways.
- Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of many complex variables.
- Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining. results.
- Strong interpersonal skills to build relationships across the Panasonic organization.
- B.S. degree or higher in engineering, Aerospace, Business, or equivalent with strong technical aptitude
- 5+ years in global homologation/regulatory and certification management experience; 3 years in a position with customer relationship experience, 4 years’ experience in the IFC industry preferred; Minimum of 2 years of Project Management experience.
- Strong knowledge in commercial aviation certification process
- Deep curiosity to understand the product and how the regulations may be applied
- Understanding of certification requirements for non-USA/EU markets strongly preferred