- Brazes (bonds) together components to assemble metal parts as specified by layout, work order, or blueprints, using hand torch: Aligns and clamps workpieces together, using rule, square, or template or sets up and places them in fixtures, jigs, or vise.
- Cleans joints of workpieces, using wire brush or by dipping them into cleaning solution.
- Selects torch tip, flux, and brazing alloy from data charts or work order.
- Connects hoses from torch to regulator valves and cylinders of oxygen and specified fuel gas, acetylene or natural.
- Turns valves to start flow of gases, lights flame, and adjusts pressure and mixture of gases to obtain desired color and size of flame.
- Brushes flux onto joint of workpiece or dips braze rod into flux to prevent oxidation of metal.
- Guides torch and rod along joint or seam of workpiece to heat to brazing temperature and melt braze alloy to bond workpieces together.
- Examines seam and re-brazes defective joints. May braze together broken parts and cover holes to repair leaks.
- May specialize in bonding parts with soft solder and be designated Solderer, Torch (welding) II.
- May melt and separate brazed joints, using hand torch or furnace, remove and straighten components, and re-braze joints to repair misaligned or damaged assemblies and be designated Brazer, Repair and Salvage (welding).
- High school diploma or its equivalent
- Experience in brazing copper
- Must pass brazer certification test
- Use small hand tools and pneumatic tools
- Read and follow written instructions
- Basic Math and measuring skills
- Meet the physical requirements of the regular work assignment
- Must be able to use various measuring equipment
Starting Pay Rate: $18.82/hr