Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking ambitious candidates to lead the world’s largest lithium ion battery initiative. With the superior battery designs and the fastest manufacturing lines in the world, Panasonic is producing millions of batteries per day in the Gigafactory to support Tesla’s electric vehicle and power wall businesses. Panasonic invites you to join us in this ongoing, full-scale effort to electrify our society. At PENA, Battery Engineers, quickly become experts in the fundamentals of lithium-ion cell technology and leaders who work with the manufacturing teams to integrate that understanding with high speed, automated manufacturing methods to produce the highest performance and quality lithium ion batteries.
PENA Battery Engineering team is responsible for the technical development and management of Panasonic’s state-of-art battery manufacturing process from electrode mixing and coating to winding, assembly, and formation. In this role, you:
- Will lead a team of highly talented engineers in Winding/Assembly process. The duties of the team include but not limited to:
- improve production process
- reduce overall production defects
- introduce new products and materials
- develop new process and to support the above activities.
- construct new lines and organize approval meetings
- make indirect materials such as test run and engineering samples
- Must lead by example with a strong work ethic and a “get the job done” approach.
- Must have excellent time and project management skills, including effectively allocating time and resources, clearly tracking project progress, and delivering accurate results by deadlines.
- Must be able to develop effective short-term and long-term plans for the team and achieve business target.
- Must lead the team to take immediate actions upon serious situations (e.g. customer complaint, quality incidents)
- Must be able to effectively communicate and work with management teams, team members, and related divisions (e.g. QC, Production, SCM, Facility/PE, Japanese design/development).
- This person will directly report to Battery Engineering Manager.
- Able to discover root causes and implement new solutions and ideas to reduce manufacturing defects.
- Familiar with Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing principles.
- Able to perform statistical analysis to improve battery manufacturing process.
- Able to proficiently use analytical equipment
- Train and mentor the team members.
- Provide necessary support to team members to ensure project progress.
- Provide basic battery and manufacturing training to new engineers.
- Train engineers across many areas, e.g. analytical instruments, data analysis, and machinery.
- Provide constructive feedbacks to help team members grow
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- B.S. or above in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or related disciplines.
- 5+ years of product development/manufacturing experiences and 2+ years of leadership experience.
- Strong analytic and decision-making abilities. Able to influence others to move towards a common goal.
- Self-motivation and resourcefulness are required.
- Able to manage multiple concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment, effectively prioritize work, and deliver quality results.
- Intuitive, adaptable, creative, and collaborative with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment (1M+ units per day) such as batteries or electronic devices.
- Strong data analysis skills with tools such as JMP, Minitab, Python, MATLAB, are highly desired.
- Experience with battery production or R&D.
- Experience with automation/robotic system development.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, SolidWorks, CATIA or equivalent
- Proficiency with CFD or FEA simulations.
In addition to an environment that’s as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.
Panasonic Energy of North America will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.