Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking ambitious engineers to lead the world’s largest lithium ion battery initiative. With superior battery designs and the fastest manufacturing lines in the world, Panasonic is producing millions of batteries per day at Gigafactory 1 to support Tesla’s electric vehicle and stationary storage businesses. Panasonic invites you to join us in this ongoing, full-scale effort to electrify our society. At PENA, Battery Engineers quickly become experts in the fundamentals of lithium-ion cell technology and leaders who work with the manufacturing teams to integrate that understanding with high speed, automated manufacturing methods to produce the world’s highest performance and highest quality lithium ion batteries.
PENA’s Battery Engineering team is responsible for the technical development and management of Panasonic’s state-of-art battery manufacturing process from electrode mixing and coating to winding, assembly, and formation. In this role, you will:
- Conduct research and development work for new and existing production lines to improve safety, quality, and productivity of battery manufacturing.
- Interface with battery and equipment development teams to develop, qualify, and launch new production lines and new battery models.
- Develop and implement IoT and robotic systems to accelerate ongoing efforts towards Industry 4.0.
- Provide engineering support to production teams to resolve manufacturing process issues.
- Analyze operating procedures and functions of equipment and machinery to reduce time and loss of manufacturing processes.
- Analyze and evaluate physical, chemical, electrochemical properties of batteries.
- Work closely with other team members to understand failure modes and improve battery performance and life expectancy.
- Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- B.S./M.S./PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or related disciplines.
- Experience including internship or curricular training in a manufacturing environment. Lithium-ion cell production is a plus.
- Ability and proficiency in collecting, analyzing, and presenting data.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment, effectively prioritize work, and deliver quality results.
- Self-starter who works well independently and an outstanding ability to follow up with minimal direction with a focus on team success.
- A strong work ethic with a “get the job done” approach who consistently delivers excellent customer service, both internally and externally.
- Intuitive, adaptable, creative, and collaborative with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment (1M+ units per day) such as batteries or electronic devices.
- Experience interfacing to databases, information management and reporting applications used for MES/SCADA systems is preferred.
- Strong data analysis skills with tools such as JMP, Minitab, Python, or MATLAB are highly desired.
- Experience with battery production or R&D.
- Experience with automation/robotic system development.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, SolidWorks, CATIA, or equivalent.
- Proficiency with CFD or FEA simulations.
- Experience with analytical laboratory techniques such as ICP, SEM-EDS, GCMS, DSC, DCM, or FTIR.
In addition to an environment that’s as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.
Panasonic Energy of North America will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.