Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory plans to produce cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
- Providing engineering support related to parts/components in the Top Cap Process as well as Cell Assembly process to resolve manufacturing issues.
- Working closely with other team members to increase understanding of failure modes and performance of cell components. Conducts FMEAs and root cause analysis.
- Utilizing knowledge of Panasonic’s manufacturing process to support improvements of supplied components.
- Collaborating with Supplier Quality team in their communication with material suppliers related to the development and validation of detailed material specifications for new materials and the resolution of quality issues
- Preparing product samples in order to evaluate performance and failure.
- Conducting validation testing of new materials and suppliers. Taking physical measurements of parts and cells in order to qualify materials, evaluate suppliers and solve quality issues.
- Using manufacturing data such as defect rate and alert rate to evaluate supplied materials. Drawing conclusions that lead to improved manufacturability and cell performance.
- Applying principles and knowledge of mechanical/manufacturing/industrial engineering to solve problems daily.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor's degree (B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field) from a four-year College or University.
- Experience in at least one of the following industries, including internships or curricular training:
- Assembly manufacturing
- Component/part engineering
- New part integration
- Experience with laboratory analysis using X-Ray, SEM, microscope, CMM, or similar methods.
- 3+ years of hands-on engineering experience.
- Knowledge of and experience in resin molding and resin molded parts.
- Strong understanding of root cause, defect, and failure analysis.
- Knowledge of commonly used materials in battery manufacturing, particularly parts associated with cell assembly.
- Experience dealing with mechanical and parts drawings. Must be able to interpret and apply these drawings when dealing with suppliers, our process, and our customer.
- Ability to use statistical analysis to derive conclusions and provide direction in investigations, new parts integration, defect reduction, and productivity improvements.
- Experience using Design of Experiments concepts to develop better assembly conditions and part applications.
- Ability to perform Gage R&R studies.
In addition to an environment that’s as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.
Panasonic Energy of North America will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.