Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory plans to produce cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
- Being part of Panasonic’s formation process. The formation group is responsible for the systems that carry out charging and discharging of the batteries under multiple sets of conditions.
- Conducting research and development work for battery cell formation and testing process to improve cell formation process on safety, quality, and productivity with new and existing production lines.
- Analyzing and evaluating battery cell electrical performance data collected in laboratory experiments and pre-production operations to determine direct and interaction effects of the formation equipment and processes under evaluation.
- Analyzing operating procedures and functions of battery cell formation equipment and process to reduce time and cost of formation processes.
- Performing root cause analysis to systematically identify and fix sources of defects.
- Providing engineering support to battery cell formation team and cell assembly production team to resolve manufacturing process issues.
- Working closely with safety and quality control teams to improve battery cell formation process on safety and quality issues.
- Working closely with other team members to increase understanding of failure modes, performance and life expectancy of cell products.
- Applying principles and knowledge of chemical engineering to solve environmental problems.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor's degree (B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Electrochemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or related field) from four-year college or university.
- Experience including internships or curricular training in a manufacturing environment, particularly with lithium-ion battery cell formation and/or testing.
- Experience with battery cell formation process design and its influence on SEI analysis in the laboratory.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to facilitate successful interactions with team members and management.
- 4+ years of experience working hands-on with lithium-ion batteries.
- M.S. degree in Chemical Engineering, Electrochemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or related field.
- Experience with root cause analysis, defect reduction, and failure analysis.
- Strong programming, statistical, and data analysis skills with tools such as Python, MATLAB, and JMP.
- Experience in laboratory analysis using X-Ray, SEM, microscope, CMM or similar methods in the lab is desired.
- Certifications or training in Six Sigma methodologies.
In addition to an environment that’s as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.
Panasonic Energy of North America will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.