Panasonic – Associate Product Development Engineer
Every moment of every day, people all over the world turn to Panasonic to make their lives simpler, more enjoyable, more productive and more secure. Since our founding almost a century ago, we’ve been committed to improving peoples’ lives and making the world a better place–one customer, one business, one innovative leap at a time. Come join our journey.
Click here to learn more about how Panasonic is creating a better life, a better world.
Watch this video to see how our employees are shaping the technologies that move us.
What you will get to do:
The position will primarily proceed new product development with between factories (Mexico and Japan) engineers and sales team to realize the specifications which customer want. This product development engineer will lead new product development teams as the project leader to develop new products if assigned. In this project, he or she will work with individuals from across the company to identify and define target market segments, market requirements, key technical and product strategies and the competitive environment.
Secondary responsibility will also collaborate regularly with other Panasonic companies, Marketing, and on occasion-- with technical counterparts from other organizations, including customers, consultants, etc. He or she will interact with internal customers (co-workers) and may participate in the resolution of external customers’ issues, when required.
Product Development Engineer Responsibilities:
- Participate project meeting to collect all the market information and to share and research regulations and the technology which customer and market wants, then to decide the new product specification and financial target with project team
- Develop a good story/strategy as to why we need the new product.
- Work with Finance, IE, Engineering in factory and Production teams to calculate the P/L.
- As an interpreter, he/she mediate between non-Japanese-speaking sales staff and non-English-speaking factory engineers, and as engineer, grow up his/her technical skills and knowledge by him/herself, thereby contributing to smoother mutual communication and more efficient development work.
- Participate in the Home Ventilating Institute product testing at Texas A&M and Exova with factory engineer and take appropriate action to ensure certification. Make preliminary and/or final spec sheet based on the test results, summarizing technical advantage against competitors and apply the test results to HVI/Energy Star for certification whenever we have new products
- Confirm/support the installation manuals with factory and revise them if necessary
- Responsible for technical support. Areas of emphasis include:
- Provide technical support for all products and create quality reports with Sales, QC, R&D and factory engineering teams and solve issues by finding the root cause. Conduct field surveys to find the cause/phenomenon also might be required.
- Make cross reference/benchmarking to help sales and factory engineering teams for their better understanding whenever our comparator launched new products.
What You’ll Bring:
- Reports to product development engineering manager and/or general manager
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, electrical environmental computer or construction engineering required.
- Experience with basic scientific inquiry, research techniques, and basic statistical methods background preferred
- HVAC and/or ERV design in-house, construction and/or antivirus knowledge are preferred
The ideal candidate will exhibit the following traits:
- A full understanding of the requirements of new product development from concept to launch; familiar with working within a formal product development process
- Effective project management skills (i.e. project scheduling, resource allocations, risk management, etc…); demonstrated ability to lead/manage/work effectively on cross-functional teams.
- Extremely detail oriented, organized, and able to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Proven problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated, conscientious and solid work ethic
- Strong, disciplined, decisive, business oriented, leader
- Innovative; customer focused
- Proactive; action and results oriented; operates with a sense of urgency
- Positive attitude; embraces new learning and self-improvement.
- Sound business acumen.
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PPT, Project)
- Familiar with basic statistical techniques.
- Comfortable with change, and ability to lead change.
- Proven ability to communicate with different functions of the organization, different levels of staff, colleagues in overseas and external partners
- English and Japanese capability is required
- Work in San Diego office.
- Training on Product Development at Panasonic Life Solutions Company of America in Newark, NJ to understand the business and development process
- Some domestic travel may be required (20 to 30%) to meetings, trade shows, product testing and customer locations
- Travel to Tijuana, MX factory for one or two days per week may be required to communicate with factory members.
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive benefits
- Pet Insurance
- Paid Parental Care Leave
- Employee Referral Program
- Educational Assistance
- Flexible Work Program
- Volunteer time Off
- Casual Dress Code
- Total Well Being Program
Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law or company policy. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Pre-employment drug testing is required for safety sensitive positions or as may otherwise be required by contract or law. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Corporation of North America.