Yohana is on a mission to help people find more balance and prioritize well-being. We create integrated software, services, and hardware specifically for modern families, to alleviate their mental load so they can feel present and connected. We are a fully funded independent subsidiary of Panasonic, one of the oldest purpose-driven brands in the world, with leadership from big tech like Google, Apple, Microsoft as well as hypergrowth startups such as Nest, Waymo, and Casper.
First up is our Yohana Membership, which just launched in Seattle. It’s a personal assistant service designed for busy families – especially moms – to help lighten the mental load of having too much to do. It’s the first of many meaningful things we’re working on.
We’re building a positive, supportive culture from the ground up, where individuals and teams grow together. Maybe you should join us.
Yohana is looking for a skilled attorney with extensive experience developing intellectual property strategy and counseling business leaders on IP-related matters. This individual will be responsible for managing intellectual property portfolio of the company, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets. This position will report to our Head of Legal.
What You’ll Get To Do:
- Strategically manage and cultivate Yohana’s global IP portfolio, including patents, trademarks, copyright, and trade secrets
- Support Yohana engineering teams in the identification, development, documentation, and protection of new inventions
- Collaborate with outside counsel to to prepare and strategically prosecute patent applications
- Build internal processes for identifying and harvesting patentable inventions
- Drive internal education initiatives related to patents and intellectual property
- Provide other IP support as needed
- JD degree from an accredited law school
- Admitted to at least one state bar
- Background in computer science/engineering, electrical engineering a plus
- 8+ years of law firm and in-house legal experience, preferably including 3+ years of relevant patent prosecution experience
- Expert in communicating legal concepts, issues and risks
- Strong problem-solving, strategic thinking, and written/verbal communication skills
- Team-oriented attitude and willingness to build relationships with business partners, customers, and management, as well as pitch in where necessary
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple projects in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Experience working with and leading cross-functional teams, and owning and driving projects from beginning to end.
- Familiarity with Japanese culture and language is a plus.
- A sense of adventure and willingness to stay nimble and learn new things.
- Opportunity to join a hyper-growth startup on a mission to make well-being attainable for modern families
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA, FSA)
- 401(k) with employer match
- Life & Short Term Disability Insurance
- Supplemental Medical Coverage
- Unlimited PTO
- 12 Company Holidays
- Paid Maternity & Parental Leave
- Paid Caregiver Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Group and 1-on-1 Career Coaching
- Pet Insurance
- Casual Dress Code
- Catered Lunch & Snacks
- Discounts on Panasonic products
- Company Social Events
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law or company policy. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Pre-employment drug testing is required for safety sensitive positions or as may otherwise be required by contract or law. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest.